The Village of Washington was laid out from King Street westward, north of Line Street
and south of the Washington Race Course (now Hampton Park).
Its streets were patriotically named: Pinckney, Moultrie, Huger, Gadsden, Congress
and President. (Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, 334-335. Stoney, This is Charleston,
129. Rgoers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys, 64, 114.)
II. New Market
The Village of New Market was generally north of Line Street and east of King Street.
Except for the extreme southern portion, it remained largely undeveloped until the
early part of this century.
The large tract was purchased by Landgrave Joseph Blake in 1700, and most of it remained
in his family for more than 200 years.
New Market was the site of the Newmarket Race Course which was used until the Washington
Race Course, established in 1790, superceded it. (Rogers, Charleston in the Age
of the Pinckneys, 64. Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, 334.)
The village of Hampstead was laid out for Henry Laurens in 1789. A plan of the suburb
shows 130 lots. Hampstead was bounded to the west by Meeting Street, south by Woolfe
and South streets, north by Line and Blake streets and East by Bay Street (now part of East Bay).
Hampstead's focal point was Hampstead Mall or Square, at the intersection of America
and Columbus streets, obviously modeled on 17th and 18th century English examples.
Unfortunately, all but one quadrant of the mall has been fenced in, destroying its
original openness and symmetry. (Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys, 64.
Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, 334. Deeds, F7-59, Y10-45. City Engineer's Plat
Book, 8; City of Charleston Archives. Stoney, This is Charleston, 128-129.)