Elizabeth Street, named for Elizabeth Wragg (1736-1773) , daughter of Joseph Wragg, was one of the original streets of Wraggborough. Elizabeth Wragg married Peter Manigault and was the mother of the architect Gabriel Manigault. Photo: 48 Elizabeth St. Aiken-Rhett Mansion c.1817
(Wragg Family File; SCHS; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.128 )
12 Elizabeth St. c.1851
-- This two and one-half story wooden house was built c. 1851 by John Carberry, a bookkeeper on Atlantic Wharf. The bay window and brackets were late additions.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Oct. 24,1977.)
14 Elizabeth St. c.1860
-- The two and one-half story brick town house with a gable roof was built c. 1860 for Sara Rutledge Hort. lt has woodwork, plasterwork and marble mantels typical of its period. There is also a note worthy brick kitchen building in the rear.
(Thomas, DYKYC, March 22,1971.)
19 Elizabeth St. c.1841
-- This two and one-half story brick store with a residence above, was built c. 1841 by Henry Bullwinkle, a grocer. The front wall was extended south to screen the piazza, with a window on the second level. Bulwinkle also had a grist mill and a seed store to the south of this building. ln 1870, he opened a wholesale grocery and grain business on East Bay, but he retained this grocery store until his death in 1889. lt remained in use as a grocery store for 125 years until 1966.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Feb. 16,1970; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.48 )
22 Elizabeth St. c.1862
-- New Tabernacle Fourth Baptist Church was built for St. Luke's Episcopal church. The Gothic Revival structure was begun in 1859 and was consecrated in 1862 when not fully completed, construction having been halted by the Civil War. The original design by architect Francis D. Lee called for a steeple in the northwest corner, which was never built. It was planned to be stuccoed but patriotism intervened and the lime was donated to the confederacy. Built in the shape of a Greek cross , the building has on each side single Gothic windows 37 feet high. The center of the vaulted ceiling is 55 feet above the floor. Patrick O'Donnell , who built his own fine residence at 21 King street, was the building contractor. St. Luke's congregation, which was organized in 1858, was united with St. Paul's (Radcliffeboro) in 1949. New Tabernacle Fourth Baptist church, which purchased the building in 1950, was founded in 1875. The congregation moved here from a building on the site of the Medical University Hospital. The Rev. Daniel J. Jenkins founder of the Jenkins Orphanage, was once a pastor of New Tabernacle.
(Legerton, Historic Churches,p.6-7 ; Ravenel, Architects , p.224-227 )
24-28 Elizabeth St. c.1896
-- These three two-story wooden houses were built in 1896 as rental units by the Queen lnvestment Company.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)
48 Elizabeth St. c.1817
-- This three story brick, 23-room mansion is known as the Aiken-Rhett House. lt was built c. 1817 by John Robinson, a merchant and real estate investor who built several houses on Judith Street. Originally a single house, it was purchased in 1827 by William Aiken, the lrish-born first president of the South Carolina Rail Road. He was killed in a riding accident in 1831, and the house was inherited by his son Gov. William Aiken. The latter, born in 1806 in Charleston, was a graduate of the South Carolina College. He owned a great deal of property including Johassee lsland on the Edisto. He was Governor of South Carolina in 1844-46 and U.S. Congressman, 1851-57. Gov. Aiken enlarged the house several times and remodeled it in the ltalianate style, based on ltalianate villas which he observed on frequent trips to Europe. The wing extending along Elizabeth Street is said to have been designed by his cousin, Joseph Martin Aiken (see 20 Charlotte St.). The wing was used as an art gallery by the Governor, who filled it with European and American art. The marble surround of the main entrance is identical to that of the Old Merchant house in New York City, which came from the Sing Sing Prison quarry. The entrance hall has formal double stairs of marble, iron-railed and supported by Doric columns. During the Civil War, in 1863, a reception for Confederate President Jefferson Davis was held here, and from December 1863 to Apri 20, 1864, it was the headquarters of the Confederate commander, Gen. Pierre C.T. Beauregard. The house was inherited by Gov. Aiken's Rhett descendants, and was donated to the Charleston Museum in 1975 by Mrs Lionel Rhett. The house is open to the public as a museum.
(Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , p.298 ; Stockton, DYKYC, July 17,1976.; Thomas, DYKYC, Sept. 18,19967; Allen, DYKYC, Sept. 20,1982; Rhett & Steel, p.94-95 ; Whitelaw & Levkoff, p.86 ; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.48 )