Wi-Fi available? Yes Public Internet / MS Office workstations? Yes Color copying and printing? Yes, $0.25 per page Black & white copying and printing? Yes, $0.10 per page Public scanner? Yes Fax machine? No ATM?: Yes Public meeting rooms available? Yes Public Notary? Available by appointment Parking? Parking garage on the ground floor is open during library hours of operation. Parking is free for the first hour and $1/each additional hour.
From the North area: Take I-26 East to Exit 221B, follow Meeting Street to Calhoun Street. Make a left on Calhoun Street and the Library will be on the left just past Elizabeth Street.
From Folly Beach and James Island: Take the James Island Connector (Hwy. 30) to Calhoun Street. Follow Calhoun Street to the Library which will be on the left just past Elizabeth Street.
From West Ashley: Take Hwy. 17 east towards downtown OR take Hwy. 61 (Ashley River Road, becomes St. Andrews closer to downtown) east towards downtown and stay in the left lane to merge with Hwy. 17. Move to the right lane and take the Lockwood Drive South exit. Stay in the left lane and take the Calhoun Street ramp. Follow Calhoun Street to the Library which will be on the left just past Elizabeth Street.
From Mt. Pleasant:
Take the Ravenel Bridge (Hwy. 17) to Charleston. Exit at Morrison Drive/East Bay Street and turn left (this will be Mt. Pleasant Dr. which will become Morrison Drive then will become East Bay Street). From East Bay Street, turn right on Calhoun Street. Follow Calhoun Street to the Library which will be on the right just past Alexander Street.
The Charleston County Library was established in 1930 and formally opened on January 1, 1931. It was first housed in the Charleston Museum building. Within the first two days four hundred cards were issued and by the end of that February, 8,473 books had been circulated. The library's services expanded rapidly. In June, 1931, the first library branches were opened to make library materials accessible to all county residents. At the end of the first year the library had 9,705 members and had circulated 77,459 books. In 1935 the library had expanded rapidly and it was felt that a separate building was needed. In 1935 the library moved to its new quarters at 94 Rutledge Avenue. By 1954, the quarters at 94 Rutledge had also been outgrown and a public campaign to was launched for construction of a new headquarters library building. A bond issue was put before the voters by County Council and was passed with a large majority. A site was selected on Marion Square where the west wing of the old Citadel was located and the new headquarters building opened its door in November, 1960.
On Sunday, February 8, 1998, the library closed its doors at the 404 King Street address for the last time. A new library was built only a few blocks away at 68 Calhoun Street, and the grand opening was held Tuesday, April 7, 1998. The FY2010 circulation at Main was over 601,000 items.
Original site of the library in the old Charleston Museum.
Circulation desk at 94 Rutledge Avenue, the library's second address.